Monday 6 April 2015

Snack Review: Meiji Rich Matcha and Meiji Rich Strawberry Chocolate

Japanese Chocolate is surprisingly good. You never really think of Japan as being a chocolate manufacturing country, but as I mentioned previously on my blog, I like the Japanese chocolates A LOT more than the American ones. Japanese chocolates are not as sickeningly sweet and they're creamier than American 'candy' bars. But they've got less calories than some of the richer European chocolates.


Meiji's Rich Matcha and Rich Strawberry chocolate blocks are a good example of this. They're beautifully packaged with metallic green and red wrappers respectively. The Matcha block is decorated with pictures of green tea leaves, while the strawberry block has strawberries. Haha, no surprises there. I call them chocolate blocks for want of words. They're quite thin and small in size, only 3 or 4 rectangular blocks wide.


I really like both favours, but if I had to pick one over the other, it would be Matcha. The Matcha bar was dense, packed full of creaminess and strong matcha flavouring. It was just right in terms of sweetness and contained a lot of matcha powder. The green tea scent was strong and pleasant and the texture was very, very smooth. It kind of reminded me of a crayon...but I only use that idea to describe it's texture and not it's beautiful taste.  I would rate it as one of the best Japanese chocolates I've tried so far.


The Strawberry bar was also thick and creamy, dense and rich. But it had more of a tart flavouring and contained little strawberry pieces blended within the chocolate. It also had a lovely strawberry fragrance.


Overall, Meiji's Rich Matcha and Rich Strawberry chocolates are delicious. Some of the best Asian chocolate I've had even though they are pricey at $5 a pop. These bars score a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment